Legal Question in Social Security Law in Florida

Should parents of a learning disabled child work or get benefits for child?

Our adopted son is borderline mentally retarded range in IQ and labeled as Learning Disabled. I work and make six figures which does not allow me to qualify for any help. My son is now 14 and needs SUPERVISION and special schooling, therefore we have put him in a residential facility that takes 1/2 of my income. If I reduce my work hours to allow him to stay at home I could not afford tutoring and doctors bills. Is it possible to reduce your work load (income) in order to qualify for assistance or do we have to sell everything we own and become destitute before recieving any assistance. We do not have additional funds for the remainder of his school years. We are over extended with debt and cannot borrow the school funds , yet make too much for help.

Please advise what we should plan to do for his future!!

Asked on 1/20/03, 3:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Should parents of a learning disabled child work or get benefits for child?

I haven't considered this subject for more than twenty years, and then it was a California matter. However, as I recall, federal law mandates (and supports) that local school districts provide what is required for disabled children. So I suggest you contact the state department of education. (There is some confusion from the posted question about whether Indiana or Florida is the applicable state.) Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/03, 4:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Florida