Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

Back Taxes

If someone owes the IRS federal taxes in the amount of $50,000-$60,000 from failing to file (business, etc), what is the best course of action for him to take in order to come clean with the IRS and avoid jail time? Is this even possible?

Asked on 4/22/02, 11:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Karen Spigler Law Firm of Karen Spigler, LLC

Re: Back Taxes

The best course of action is a proactive one. File the delinquent returns as soon as possible to get an assessment of what is owed. Depending on what tax is owed, you may be able to do an offer in compromise or, at the very least, structure a payment schedule. The IRS is a creditor, just like any other creditor who wants to be paid.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/02, 12:27 am

Joel Selik

Re: Back Taxes

Hire a tax professional

We can give a free consultation

Joel Selik


Read more
Answered on 4/23/02, 12:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida