Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

My fiance owes approx 34k to the irs in back taxes. Am I responsible for that if we get married? I was told that if i do not file a joint tax return with him that i am not responsible. Also if we say we are house mates only since the irs looks at total household income and that we can claim both our cars and rent as basic needs, if we show income vs basic needs, that there is no money left over, is it true we can settle with irs for 75 or 80% the value of his car? help??

Asked on 1/21/10, 6:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steven Klitzner Steven N. Klitzner, P.A.

You are not responsible for his back taxes if you get married. However, if you have a joint bank account, it may be subject to levy. We do not usually file joint tax returns in cases such as this. The IRS does look at total household income, so both cars and rent can be shown as expenses. It is true that you can settle the case with an Offer in Compromise for 80% of the value of his car, but unfortunately, it is not that easy. The IRS only accepts 24% of the Offers made and they do everything they can to reject them. If he qualifies, the case can be settled for a small percentage of the debt, but it is difficult to do it on your own. Call me or any qualified professional. Make sure it is an attorney in Florida who specializes in tax problem resolution. Call me if you have any questions. Steve Klitzner 18002191118

Read more
Answered on 1/26/10, 9:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida