Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

I have a single member LLC in florida for an ecommerce, how do I file my sales and use tax? I have read that I file it with my annual taxes on a C shedule of my 1040 tax return since I am kind of a sole propietor. What if my husband and I do Joint taxes?

I did register to get a sales and use tax certificate number in case I need it and an EIN. The florida Dept. of revenue sent me the DR15. Do I have to use it? Do I need them?

Please help.

Asked on 5/20/14, 6:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Shigo The Shigo Law Firm, P.A.

Most dealers are initially set to file/pay quarterly. The best way is to set up secure web access through the DOR portal to file on line returns and pay the taxes. The DOR sales tax site has a lot of information, topic FAQ's and tutorials. The url is:

Spend some time there.

Please remember, as a dealer you must maintain records of the purchase and sale of tangible property for resale AND the purchase of tangible property used for the business. For example, if you purchased a computer to help run the business you are required to keep the receipt to show wether you paid sales tax on the purchase (if not then you will report/remit the use tax with your next filing). If you do not have this documentation the DOR will assess use tax against the purchase if it is identified during a compliance audit. No documentation - you pay use tax - even if you paid sales tax on the transaction. This trips up a lot of small businesses. Keep good records and see that your shopping cart software can properly handle the FL sales tax, local option tax, and sales tax bracketing.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/14, 8:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida