Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

Attorney Fees

A relative is on full life support and non-responsive in a hospital in Florida as a result of a car accident a week ago. My husband who lives out of state is her second cousin (her only known surviving relative), and has been contacted because his phone# was found in her purse. We are hesitant to get involved for the fear of incurring responsibility for expenses but yet feel obligated to help. We'd like to start by interviewing attorneys to see if it is wise to proceed, but who will be responsible for their fees if we decide to help out in this very sad case? Are they paid upon settlement of the estate? FYI - She was an only child and it is believed that her mother left her everthing. It is not known yet if there is a will or health proxy.

Asked on 10/28/05, 12:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: Attorney Fees

An estate fiduciary must first be appointed to make the decisions. Attorney fees would be paid from the proceeds collected. Some court filing fees would be advanced. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/28/05, 9:40 pm

Kenneth Forman Kenneth Alan Forman P.A.

Re: Attorney Fees

You should definitely speak to an attorney. It sounds like your relative had assets, and our firm (like many other probate firms) will often handle cases for no attorney fees upfront and then request that the judge award us fees from the assets of the estate. The court will then review the work done and award appropriate fees which would be paid out of your relatives assets not by you.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/05, 4:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida