Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

estate protection

my father has alzheimers disease. he has a several million dollar estate of which he is rapidly losing track. what legal steps can i take to protect the estate from his diminished state.

Asked on 7/19/03, 6:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: estate protection

If it is not too late he can set up a trust with a trustee controlling the assets for his benefit. Another alternative would be to have a fiduciary appointed by the court to manage his property. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/03, 7:53 am
Frank J. Pyle Probate Attorney Throughout Florida

Re: estate protection

If still competent, he could set up a trust with someone else [bank, trust company or one or more individual] as trustee, give some one or more persons power of attorney, or voluntarily agree to have someone appointed guardian over his property. Otherwise, a family member would have to petition the local circuit court to declare him incapacitated and to appoint a guardian over his assets.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/03, 9:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida