Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

Where do I find a copy of my father's will which was not probated. It was prepared in LA but he passed away in Palm Beach County, FL

Asked on 12/12/12, 1:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dawn Marie Bates-Buchanan Bates-Buchanan & Savitsky Law Group, P.A.

Wills are not required to be recorded. However, whomever the Personal Representative was, should have filed a copy of the will and death certificate, even if they have not opened a probate case yet. Final thought would be to contact whomever you think might be named the personal representative and ask them for a copy or contact the lawyer whom you think might have created the document. It is difficult if there is no estate (probate) case actually opened or filed. Please remember that if there were no assets in your Father's name alone, which would be required to be probated, or debts, then a probate case might have been required to be opened.

Read more
Answered on 12/13/12, 11:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida