Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My mother's estate is readyto be closed. However, my attorney is now charging me $10,000 in addition to the $8,000 retainer I have already paid. I went before he Judge on an ex-parte motion and the judge suggested the attorney lower the fees a bit and put a lien on the properties (which are completely paid off.) The attorney adn I later met and he agreed to do this but advised he would not lower the fees and would give me two months to pay off the $10,000 in full or he will begin charging interest in the amount of 4%.

Is there any way I can move to close this estate or does it have to be my attorney and can I later challenge the fees.

Asked on 3/18/10, 8:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Labovitz Labovitz Law Firm, P.A.

Hi. First, you can fire the attorney. Then, set a hearing in front of the judge on the fee issue, get the fee issue resolved and close the estate.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/10, 3:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida