Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I received 2 checks from the nursing home my mother lived in made payable to my mother. I received them after her death. I am her only child. In Florida how can I get the checks cashed?

Asked on 1/06/19, 4:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Technically you have to open an Estate of some kind to clear the checks. See if they can reissue the checks to you personally. If not, contact and attorney to determine the most frugal method of clearing the funds. The amounts of the checks will help determine that method too,

Read more
Answered on 1/07/19, 5:38 am

The easiest way is to see if they will reissue the checks in your name, but more than likely you will need to open an estate (initiate probate). Once there is an estate open in your mother's name, the checks will need to be issued to your mother's estate for disbursement.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/19, 6:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida