Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

US resident dies testate in US with his estate to be distributed in equal shares among his children who all reside outside of Trinidad. His WIll has not yet been probated in the US. The estate of the deceased US resident is entitled to a share of an estate in Trinidad. Please advise what are the requirements or the steps to be taken by the children of the deceased to deal with the funds which are due from Trinidad.

Asked on 7/27/13, 2:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Contact a Trinidadian attorney. The rules with regard to those assets are governed by that country. The Estate here is governed by US law.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/13, 4:08 pm

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

His estate must go to probate in Florida. The estate Personal Fiduciary will then pursue the estate claim in Trinidad.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/13, 7:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida