Legal Question in Consumer Law in Georgia

Auto dealer - forged lease document

I recently terminated a 3 year car lease - the proper way, with all payments made on time, excess wear items fixed, etc. Upon turning it in, I was made aware of excess mileage charges that were owed. The auto manufacturer, Nissan, has a contract stating 12000 miles allowed per year. My contract states 15000 miles per year. The dealer's copy of the contract states 15000 miles. Nissan sent me a copy of the original TOP copy sent to them by the dealer. 15000 miles had been struck through and changed to 12000. Here's the bad part - my initials next to the change on the document are not mine. Whoever signed my initials made a big mistake - they signed my initials WRONG (in 2 places). Nissan says the dealer has to remedy this, and the dealer wants me to buy another vehicle so they can ABSORB the $1000 that I will owe. I need help. How should i proceed with this? There are no strike throughs on my copy or the dealer's. My initials are clearly forged.

Asked on 1/22/03, 1:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lee Morgan Morgan & Morgan

Re: Auto dealer - forged lease document

The dealer or its representative obviously committed fraud. It should immediately satisfy any amounts claimed by Nissan and give you written verification that you have no further liablity. Even if the problem is corrected, I would notify the Better Business Bureau and the Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. This dealer may have done the same thing to many others.

DISCLAIMER: It is not possible to give specific legal advice based on the limited information in your query. Information in our response should be considered general information only and NOT advice specific to your situation. Furthermore, no attorney client relationship is intended to be created by this correspondence. You are not a client of Morgan & Morgan Attorneys at Law, P.C. unless and until we specifically agree to represent you and the appropriate fee contract has been signed.

You should not rely on this information alone in deciding your course of action. We recommend that you speak to an attorney of your choice and seek specific advice and representation.

Morgan & Morgan Attorneys at Law, P.C is licensed to practice law in the state of Georgia only. The general information contained in our response is based on Georgia law. If you or another party to your dispute resides in another state, the information provided may not be applicable.

Read more
Answered on 1/22/03, 1:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Georgia