Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Georgia

impropery injected steroid shot left huge dent on hip

July 1998 I was injected with a steroid shot in my hip. The steroid went into my fat (should of been into my muscle)-the nurse did not get the needle in far enough. As a result the steroid ate away a golf size hole of fat from my hip. 1 1/2 years later (I have been back to the doctor that did this twice)-The doctor at my request is sending me to a plastic surgeon. However, I will be left with a scar. The plastic surgeon says he could later work on the scar so that it wont be so noticeable. I have not consulted an attorney . What legal rights do I have? The doctor says he will pay for the plastic surgery. I havent asked him if he will pay for further surgery to work on the scar Please help. Thanks

Asked on 1/31/00, 2:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alex Simanovsky Alex Simanovsky & Associates, LLC

Re: impropery injected steroid shot left huge dent on hip

If you believe that you have been injured as a result of the doctor's negligence, I would not suggest that you settle for merely his paying for your surgery. I am sure that you will be presented with a release to the effect that you cannot pursue action against the doctor in exchange for the payment of future surgery.

In any tort action you are entitled to general and special damages. Examples of general damages are your current and future medical bills, lost wages, etc. Special damages include pain and suffering, as well as damages for deformation/scarring.

Since the injection took place in July 1998 there is a potential that the 2 year statute of limitations began to run on that date or soon thereafter when did or should have discovered the injury. If that is the case, the Statute of Limitations will expire this July. After that time, your may be barred from presenting any claim related to this incident.

In any case that relates to professional malpractice or negligence an affidavit from an expert in that filed MUST be attached to the law-suit just in order to file the suit. The medical records will have to be reviewed by an expert, which takes time. I suggest that you proceed promptly as there are potentially only 5 months left before the expiration of the Statute of Limitations.

Feel free to visit my website:, or contact me by e-mail: [email protected], or by telephone at 404-824-0010.

I hope this information is helpful to you.


Alex Simanovsky


E-MAIL: [email protected]

PHONE: 404-824-0010

Read more
Answered on 2/01/00, 5:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Georgia