Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

can my son, who is a pfc in the U.S. Army stationed in North Carolina file for a divorce in his home state of Georgia as he is actually a resident in Georgia?

Asked on 10/08/09, 3:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Probably he can. Have him get with me with enough details so I can answer with more certainty.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/09, 3:40 pm
Ms. Tran Lankford Tran Lankford, Attorney at Law

Military divorces, in general, are a little more complicated than civilian divorces. Generally, the person filing the divorce will need to serve the other party in the case so the location of the other party is important. If there are minor children, then the location of those children are also important. Georgia requires a residency period before a Petition for Divorce can be filed. You did not provide enough information for me to even generally answer the question. It is best if your son contact me (404-601-4117) or another attorney with additional information.

In responding to your question in this matter, the Firm is not expressing an opinion on whether you will ultimately prevail if legal action is pursued. You should not refrain from seeking legal assistance from another firm if you desire another opinion. Because time is always important, and could be critically short in your case, you may wish to seek another opinion as soon as possible.

The information contained in this correspondence is provided as a free consultation only, based on the limited facts given by you, and does not constitute legal advice. I try to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this E-mail. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/09, 3:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia