Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

After divorce with my husband in 2007 I was awarded with monthly alimony. In 2009 he filled for bankruptcy (chapter 7) and didnít put my name on creditors list. In 2010 stopped he paying my alimony. What should I do to restore my alimony?

Asked on 12/14/12, 8:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Jones Jr Richard M. Jones, Jr.

Your husband cannot wipe out his alimony obligation to you by filing and obtaining a discharge in bankruptcy, even if he left you off his list of creditors. Alimony is a type of debt the bankruptcy code excludes from being wiped out.

You need to locate an attorney experienced in collecting delinquent alimony.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/12, 2:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia