Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

We (my husband and I) filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on 11/29/11. We appeared in court on 1/3/12. Can my mother give us the money now to buy a foreclosure or HUD property without any repercussions?

Asked on 2/09/12, 9:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Your question has me concerned that you made the mistake of filing pro se. Pro se cases often go badly, and the price you also pay for not paying a lawyer to advise you is that you may make costly unfixable mistakes. The question you ask cannot be answered without a review of your schedules and other background. It's the type question that if you had a lawyer he would answer as part of his fee.

If you do have counsel, obviously ask your lawyer. If you don't you should at a minimum make an appointment to have a lawyer review your filing for two reasons: (1) to answer your question and (2) to be sure you have not made other mistakes or missteps which may be fixable now and at some point may not be.

(I routinely do those type reviews for a $100 flat fee. We can pull up the court records on Pacer to look while you are here. Our number is 404-768-3509).

Read more
Answered on 2/09/12, 10:33 am

Call Mr. Ashman, the answer is depending on the circumstances and timing what you propose could have SERIOUS repercussions, i.e. you losing the property the Trustee liquidating it and you being out of the home.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/12, 11:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia