Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

Unable to afford house per divoce decree. Wife living there and wants me to pay my half with her and her husband of now living there. Friend told me that would still have to pay. Divorce attorney said to file. Wife taking me back to court to pay my half. Im not working or have any income.

Asked on 3/24/11, 11:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Jones Jr Richard M. Jones, Jr.

Usually financial obligations flowing from a divorce cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. You may have other debt that would make it necessary for you to file bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 3/24/11, 11:52 am

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

If you fail to comply with the divorce decree, expect legal consequences.

Most debts sorted out in a divorce decree cannot be modified later in court. and most are also non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. However, if you have other debts, you may be able to deal with those in bankruptcy and then be better able to deal with the house debt.

You do need to see a bankruptcy lawyer to assess things.

Read more
Answered on 3/24/11, 5:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia