Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

my wifes private school closed on thursday abruptly due to owners foreclosure , the owners falsely persuaded the teachers to continue teaching students, and the teachers have not been paid for the month of october . the owners drained the payroll accounts this morning after telling the teachers they would get paid . what steps should they take to persue the payments , most teachers single moms and cannot afford to not get their pay ?

Asked on 11/02/13, 12:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Sadly the old saying "you cannot get blood from a turnip" probably applies, and unless you can find assets there will be no way to collect. I'd start by doing the things you can do for free. Make a complaint with the state dept. of labor (and US Dept. of labor) regarding the lack of pay. If only one of you wants to pursue it, you could try a suit in small claims court (Magistrates Court) but honestly the cost in time and money may not justify it (you have to decide that). If there are assets, a group of teachers might want to pool some money together and see a lawyer and sue as a group.

Read more
Answered on 11/02/13, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia