Legal Question in Business Law in Georgia

I want to start my own small business selling vegetarian side dishes at a local farmer's market. I have done my homework on sole proprietorship vs. corporation vs. LLC, in addition to seeing what permits I would need (a resale permit to buy items tax free that will be used to make my finished product, and a local business permit from my town, as well as registering a name and obtaining an EID). What I have been unable to find are the rules/regulations on food preparation in a home business setting, if such a thing exists. Is such a thing even feasible? I don't have dreams of getting rich, but likewise, I don't want to be shut down/fined/sued out of house and home.

Asked on 5/03/10, 6:06 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

While you need a lawyer for some of the things you say you have done your homework on, you need to contact your county health department to determine what licenses and inspections you will need for home food prep. I suspect few home kitchens meet state and county regulations.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/10, 6:13 pm
Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

I doubt many lawyers would know about rules/regs such as you are talking about. Even if I were your lawyer, I would have to do old-fashioned homework. Talk to your local restaurant inspectors as a starting point. Tell them exactly what you have in mind to start and nail down who would be looking over your shoulder. Then, search, by Google or otherwise, for similar businesses, preferably in your area. If you can find one who has been around a while, he/she should be able to steer you.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/10, 6:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Georgia