Legal Question in Business Law in Georgia

stop payment of check

I own a booth rental/consignment shop. I rent spaces by the month with a signed contract that says they have to give 7 day notice if they don't want to rent booth anymore. Someone came in and rented a booth and paid me the rest of that month plus the next month. They ask if I would hold the check until Friday (check was not post dated) I said yes I deposited check on the following Monday check was returned to me stop payment. Can they do that with out saying anything to me?

Asked on 9/14/07, 9:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: stop payment of check

Since you agreed to hold the check, you can't take out a bad check warrant. However, you can sue them in small claims court.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/07, 5:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Georgia