Legal Question in Consumer Law in Georgia

My daughter and I would like to sue the car dealership that sold her a vehicle. She purchased it in April with a down payment and is making monthly payments. It is now August and she still has not been able to get plates for the car. The owner of the dealership has given her a temporary tag four times now and has told us they have sent the paper work to the DMV office numerous times. We called a title bond company in an effort to get the car put in her name and found out the vehicle is not in the name of the dealership or the two owners of the dealership, nor are they licensed and bonded in the state of Georgia to sell used cars. The title bond company issued the bond because my daughter’s name was in their system as a temporary owner somehow. With the bond and a police report to show the car was not stolen she headed to the DMV office. The agent issued her licenses plates and after a lengthy explanation of the problem she put the title in her name solely WITHOUT the dealership being listed on it for fear of them may not sign over the title after we report them to the state officials. My questions is do I have grounds to sue them to break the contract for payments to them and get the money back that we paid to the title bond company? Can I use for them to return the money we spent on the car and still keep the car? Which court would I use, magistrate, state etc?

Asked on 8/30/13, 1:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

On what grounds would YOU sue anyone? You say it is your daughter's car, not yours, so it is not your issue. Your daughter may have a legitimate basis on which to void the contract, IF she can't get title, but from your post it looks like she may have been able to get title. No, she can't sue to get a free car and all the money back (or. at least, it won't happen). It would also cost thousands in fees. Inconvenience in getting title is not a path to a free car.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Georgia