Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Georgia

Mortgage problem

My mortgage company took me to court over non-payment of insurance which I had canceled 10 months previously. The judge threw it out when I showed proof that I had had other insurance for the 10 months. Now the mortgage company is billing me for over $1000 in legal fees. Is there anything I can do, other than pay it.

Asked on 8/13/04, 10:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Glass Law Offices of David H. Glass, LLC

Re: Mortgage problem

Most contracts have clauses that provide for legal fees only if the party that sues is successful. It is highly unlikely your contract specified you are responsible for their legal fees regardless of the outcome. Even if the contract states you are responsible, that clause would probably be null and void for public policy reasons. If you would like me to draft a letter to the mortgage company, feel free to call my office to discuss it. Consultation is free.


David H. Glass

(404) 529-9081

Read more
Answered on 8/13/04, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Georgia