Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Georgia

We paid off and cancelled a credit card in December of 2008. Out of the blue, 3 months later, we got notice that our cancelled card had been "upgraded" and we were being charged a $65 annual fee. We called them and wrote them a letter saying we didn't want the card and hadn't agreed to an upgrade. They gave us a phone number to call for a "cancellation code." We called that number and the person answered the telephone with, "Hello?" My husband went ahead and got a number from them, which I'm sure was made up. We called the customer service number and gave it to them and they assured us everything would be cancelled. Today, we received a bill for $89.38 with late charges added to the original amount and a threat to turn us over for collection and that it would be on our credit report. What can we do?

Asked on 8/01/09, 5:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

1. Call the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs

Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs

2 Martin Luther King Jr., Drive SE, Suite 356

Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4600


404-651-8600 or

800-869-1123 (toll-free in Georgia, outside of the metro Atlanta calling area)


If they have an office in your county, sue them in small claims court for the $89.38. That will get their attention.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/09, 5:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Georgia