Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Georgia

I sold my car to a friend who gave me a downpayment of $1,000 and has refused to pay the remainder of the money ($2,500) even though we have a contract saying I was supposed to be paid 350 every month until the car was paid off. It has now been over a year with no payments. The girl has now moved across the country to Oregon, and I have moved to New York, although the car was sold to her in Georgia. How do I go about filling a magistrate court case, and which state am I supposed to file? And if I have to travel to go to court can I add those fees into the money already owed?

Asked on 4/18/18, 11:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

You'll have to sue in Oregon and you will not your travel costs. Unless your lawyer wrote a good contract with repo rights and you have a lien on the title you won't have the best remedy, a repo. And unless you know of assets and earnings to seize if you win, you may at best get a worthless judgment.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/18, 11:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Georgia