Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

My fiance and I were charged with misdermenor animal cruelty charges, because one of our dogs buckets wasnt clean enough, one dog has used the bathroom in his kennel and we hadnt had time to clean it that morning and when he spilled his water it made it look as if it hadnt been cleaned in days, we had one dog who we told them had health problems and wasnt in the best condition, but because we disnt take her to the vet, we were treating her at home, they said it was animal cruelty. The party who pressed charges against, I personally have negative history with. The judge basically looked over their evidence and judged us by what they had to say and didnt believe anything we said. We were both given a 1000 fine, 1 yr on probation, and 30 days gail time, which we have to do 8 days a month for 4 months. The jail time is causing a hardshil on mh job and with my children. Our public defender had us enter a blind plea under nolo contendere. Am I able to appeal the jail time or ask for other arrangements?

Asked on 10/28/12, 11:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Lewis Lawrence Lewis, P.C.

You entered a plea and were found guilty. You can file a motion to modify sentence and ask for a modification of the sentence. However, there is no appeal to the sentence after a guilty plea. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/29/12, 10:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia