Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

Libel/Defamation of character

What solutions are available for a situation where an individual discovers that for 15 years his criminal history has been inaccurate to the point he is portrayed to a threat to society who should be punished for the rest of his life for an unconscious

act in a alcohol blackout that was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law when actuality it was misdemeanor act of reckless conduct. If this case had been handled by a competant attorney I wouldn't be in a position where 11 years after I paid my debt to society, I'm still refused employment and can't afford the legal representation to pursue litigation for expungement or mitigation so that I can have the rights I'm supposed to have as a citizen of the United States of America.

To top it off, my criminal history doubles the negativity by filing my conviction twice in two seperate court decisions on two seperate dates which is definitely going to bar me from a second chance to do what's right and be free to celebrate my rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Asked on 5/09/08, 7:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Billy Tomlinson Tomlinson & Associates, LLC

Re: Libel/Defamation of character

You main action would have been for malpractice against the attorney , if any occurred, but that statute of limitations has long since passed. If you were convicted or plead guilty to the charge then it can not be expunged. If it is incorrectly reported on your criminal history then you can request a copy of your criminal history from your local sheriff's department and then challenge or petition for the information to be corrected.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/08, 8:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia