Legal Question in Elder Law in Georgia

Guardianship of my mother

My mother is 80 years old and not mentally incompetent but is allowing her husband of three years to control her money. She got an inheritance a few years back of approximately $200,000 of which she has only around $20,000 left. She doesn't trust him but doesn't know what to do about it. Is there any type of guardianship my brother and I can get to pay my mother's bills for her and to keep him away from it? Thank you.

Asked on 7/10/06, 4:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Ballar Christopher A. Ballar PC

Re: Guardianship of my mother

Yes, you can file to become the conservator of her money and have her declared incapacitated by the court. If you are successful then her money can be used for her benefit under the direction of the court. However, her spouse has preference to be her conservator, unless you can show convincing evidence otherwise.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/06, 5:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Georgia