Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My 18 year old son's father said that he had a college fund set up for him but now he won't give it to him or help with college fees we never had child support case he paid out of pocket and we have tried every thing to get in touch with him he is a middle school principle in evans georgia and I have remarried which start all this where he doesn't want to help with the college fees what can my son do to get the help and the college fund from his father

Asked on 11/07/13, 5:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Unless that fund was ordered by a court, or unless a contract was written to require it, nothing can make the father pay for college. Yes he's a jerk but your son is an adult, and parents aren't required to help adult children.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 5:30 pm

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

Parents are not required to pay for college expenses unless there is a written agreement which is part of a court order. This decision on the part of the father does not bode well for maintaining a good relationship between father and son, but there is nothing you or your son can do to make him share in college expenses.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/13, 5:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia