Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

aoptive parental rights

I understand that a minor can leave home at age 17 but 1) can minor move in with biological mother who has has been terminated by court? 2) What about biological grandmother? 3)Can biological relatives sign legal matters for her? 4) Can they sign for medical attention? 5)Who is responsible for bills incurred?

Asked on 4/12/04, 12:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip A. Strickland Law Offices

Re: aoptive parental rights

If your biological mother’s rights have been terminated then she stands in the same legal relation to you as any stranger. With your consent, she would be allowed to assume any authority to make medical decisions and the like for you the law otherwise allows. For example, a Durable Power of Attorney. She couldn’t assume any type of parental power. The same would be true for your biological grandmother.

However, unless a child is emancipated before reaching the age of majority (18) she remains under the “custody and control” of her parents and would have very limited authority to make legal decisions for herself or in appointing others to make those decisions for her. Those would be parental powers. A minor child may become emancipated through marriage, or by being allowed to receive the proceeds of her own labor, or by the parent‘s consent to emancipation. If emancipation is accomplished by a parent's consent, it can be temporary and revoked at any time. Until the age of majority or emancipation, a child's parents are obligated by law to provide for the child.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/04, 2:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia