Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Boyfriend spending night at home

I have primary custody of 3 children for 10 years. I have a boyfried who occassionally sleeps at house and I am considering having move in but not marry at this time. What are the laws related to that?

Asked on 11/12/03, 12:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Harold Holcombe Harold D. Holcombe, P.C.

Re: Boyfriend spending night at home

You might want to check your custody agreement to make sure you can have a live-in boyfriend without violating the Final Order. Also, you EX might want to say that you are "unfit" and try to get sole custody of the children should you get a live-in lover. Also, your EX might try to reduce child support if you have another income in the household. You didn't ask for this, but I'll offer it anyway---you might consider non-legal issues, like what message this is sending to your children...what kind of relationship this person has with your children...etc. If you put the children ahead of this live-in boyfriend, then your boyfriend will be angry. If you put your boyfriend ahead of your children, your children and EX may be angry. Think about all the social and legal factors. Before he moves in bring out all the issues and discuss them.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/03, 2:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia