Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

This is in regards to child abandonment laws in GA. My fiance has a 2 year old son with an extremely vindictive, spiteful woman. She and her sister are known for scheming against the fathers of their children, with one practice being filing false child abandonment charges. My fiance sees his son on a regular basis (because he wants to) on top of paying child support however he's witnessed the fathers of the other children go through a lot of turmoil including jail time, despite the allegations being false. How can he combat this if she decides to pull this trick?

Asked on 7/23/13, 1:28 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

He can see a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 3:20 am
Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

He needs to document every dime he pays, as well as keep a record of when he sees the child. If there is only an order requiring him to pay support, and no signed order from a Judge giving him visitation rights, he needs to see an attorney about filing to legitimize the child and get an order giving him parental rights, including visitation. Child abandonment charges are going to be hard to prove if he is paying child support and visiting, and keeping a record and having court ordered visitation will prevent any legitimate abandonment charge. If she does try to file such a charge, he needs an attorney to help him present facts showing he has done no such thing.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 7:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia