Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Can child support payments be reduced if the wife has remarried and is financially

secure. Husband job has changed and is making less money and is having a

difficult time making payments and living on his income.

Asked on 5/04/13, 4:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Her spouse's income is probably irrelevant. But his drop in income MAY be grounds and he should meet with a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/13, 6:42 am

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

Child support is based on the income of the parents, not the new husband. If the father voluntarily quit a job and took a lower paying job, the Court would not consider the drop in income. If the change of job was not the fault of the father, that would be taken into consideration. I would go in to speak with an attorney to go over numbers prior to filing. There are other factors that may come into play so seeking legal advice is your best option.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/13, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia