Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Custody over a Teen

There is a teen who's mother died when he was 7, he was then living with relatives in his home state of Georgia. He has no connection to his father.

When he was going into middle school at age 13 he moved to New York to be taken care of by his grandmother.

Going into 10th grade age 15 (almost 16 the coming October) his grandmother died. He wished to stay with god parents/family friends in New York.

However his Family moved him back to Georgia. He hates it living in Georgia even after spending all of his 10th grade year down there, with his older cousin signing for custody.

Now in 11th grade and soon to be 17, he finds Georgia too intolerable to an extreme extent. However his family refuses to listen thinking he is better off living with relatives.

What can he do in order to move back to New York? What legal measures are necessary? What rights does he have as a teen to appeal the custody given to his cousin?

Asked on 8/25/08, 3:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Custody over a Teen

You might consider having one of the godparents appointed as guardian. However, since the boy is now residing in GA, that would have to be done in the county of his residence. You should contact an attorney in whatever county that is.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/08, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia