Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Divorce, Automobile Property Issues

I purchased a car in my name only, my husband took off in it and refuses to give me the money for the payment, can I report the car stolen if it's in my name alone even though we are married? We were married in GA and lived there until he split, I now live in AL for 30 days now, he's homeless but staying at a hotel in GA with no ''real'' residence.

Asked on 8/29/08, 2:32 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Re: Divorce, Automobile Property Issues

It is unlikely police would deal with that as a stolen car. You're remedy is likely in divorce court. If he's in metro Atlanta, feel free to call us.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/08, 2:44 pm

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

Re: Divorce, Automobile Property Issues

yes you should report it. Were you in alabama when he took off in it. If so, file a report in Ala. Also let your insurance carrier know.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/08, 9:58 pm
Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Re: Divorce, Automobile Property Issues

No one can guess what you mean by "took off in it," or how he had/got possession in the first place, so advising you to report it as stolen and involing the police would be little more than a potentially dangerous guess with insufficient facts.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/08, 2:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia