Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

In my divorce I became responsible for 3 credit card bills that were in my wife's name only. I have been giving her money every month to pay the bills but she refuses to give me access to the statements or account so I can see the progress I am making on paying them off. She has not closed the accounts and I fear she may be still using them. The divorce papers did not specify that they be closed but in turn did not specify that I give her the money to pay the bills every month. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on 8/09/13, 6:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

You need to take the divorce decree to the lawyer who represent you in the divorce. If you didn't have a lawyer, this may be why there is a problem now in interpretation and her actions.

In any event, if you didn't have a lawyer, find an experienced family lawyer in your area and schedule a consultation for him/her to review the order and to discuss your options. It is worth paying an initial consultation under the circumstances. Of course, you don't have to retain the attorney after the consultation. However, depending on the options, it may be in your best interest to retain one.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/13, 6:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia