Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My ex-husband and I got divorced in May of 2010. We agreed at the time to split joint/legal custody of our 2 kids 50/50. We also decided not to ask for child support b/c we made the same amount of money, within a few thousand dollars. My ex-husband now makes 40%+ more than I do. Can I go back at this point and ask for some sort of child support?

Asked on 9/21/12, 9:52 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Stephen Worrall The Manely Firm, P.C.

Child support can be modified in Georgia if there is a substantial change in the income or financial status of either parent or in the needs of the child. An increase of 40% would be considered a substantial change so I believe you would be entitled to seek an increase in child support.

Read more
Answered on 9/21/12, 10:38 am
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

That would certainly be a susbtantial change that might justify a change in support. See a local attorney to assist.

Read more
Answered on 9/21/12, 11:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia