Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My ex-husband and I were both residents of the state of georgia. When he decided he didn't want to be married anymore, he kicked myself and our 2 children (aged 3 1/2 and 3 months) out. We had no choice but to move to my homestate of california where I moved in with my parents. That was 2 1/2 years ago. Our divorce has since been finalized in the state of Georgia. He has seen the children once since. The children are now 6 yrs and 2 1/2 yrs. He wants to have to children visit him in Georgia. He is saying that according to Georgia law, I have to pay for half of the travel expenses. Is this true?

Asked on 10/15/10, 10:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

There is no way we can answer you, and the person who knows the answer is the lawyer you hired in your divorce (with children at stake, certainly you didn't make the mistake of not having one).

There is no Georgia law as to travel expenses. What his visitation is, and where he can exercise it, and when (plus who pays for it) should all be in your divorce decree, parenting plan and/or agreement. Since you already have those documents and we don't, no one here can answer you at all. The answer is that you and he must do what those papers say (if the papers are silent on expenses, he pays them).

Read more
Answered on 10/20/10, 1:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia