Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

The father of my grand daughter has retained a lawyer and is seeking to legitimize and seek joint custody of my daughter's child. She has entered a rehab center this past week. She signed a notarized the Georgia temporary guardianship papers to grant me temporary custody of my grand daughter while she seeks help. The court case is scheduled for April 23rd in Cobb County. I have not filed the papers for guardianship because I just received them. I am not a party in their case, I am willing to become one if need be. Can he get my grand daughter without being legitimized? Or am I considered her next of kin? What are the chances of the judge ordering an extension because my daughter will not be there? She does not have an attorney. She believed her daughter's father when he said she would not need one. She is in a fragile state of mind, seeking help for depression and addiction to prescription meds. I am unable to find a lawyer at this late date. Can I request a continuance to obtain a lawyer for my daughter?

Asked on 4/19/13, 7:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

I suggest you immediately meet with and retain an attorney for your daugher. Let the court know you are in the process of retaining an attorney and ask for a continuance. You may want to go ahead and file in the Guardianship so the court knows the child is secure under some legal process in the interim. Cannot really say without knowing more. This is a complicated case. There is simply too much information needed to be able to provide an adequate response on a website. You may need to intervene in the custody case but again, cannot advise you without additional and substantial information. Seek immediate legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/13, 7:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia