Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Can my fiance adopt my daughter after we are married? Her bio father is in jail for 2 serious crimes and wasn't in her life to begin with. He is not on her birth certificate and does not pay child support and never has.

Asked on 9/02/15, 5:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Worrall The Manely Firm, P.C.

Yes, your fiance can file a petition for step-parent adoption. You would consent to the petition. The father would be served and given an opportunity to object, but his rights could be terminated if he has either failed to communicate with the child for over 12 months or failed to support the child for over 12 months. He could also consent to the adoption by signing a surrender of his parental rights.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/15, 6:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia