Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My girlfriend has been divorced from her ex husband since September of 2000. In her final divorce decree, he was ordered to return all of her jewelry to her. He denied having possession of her jewelry. Well last night, 9/13/2013, we were looking at jewelry on craigslist and came across a ring for sale that she immediately recognized as hers. And the posting is from the town where her ex husband now lives. I was wanting to know what, if anything, can be done to retrieve her property. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 9/12/13, 8:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

She needs to call her lawyer now. Posting on the web and waiting for general information on a site like this is a waste of valuable time, as the jewelry may be sold tomorrow (or later today).

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 8:22 am

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

I agree with Mr. Riddle that you need to act quickly. Contact a lawyer to review her decree and discuss contacting the police, or even setting up a sale with him under a different name to try to get him to show up with her property.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at [email protected], or through our website:

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 6:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia