Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

my grandchildren are being seriously neglected by their father who has sole custody. they (the kids) are living with a friend of theirs right now. I am several states away & can't move back there for at least a month. If I contact a lawyer there now, to see about obtaining custody, is that lawyer obligated to contact social services? Their father just had his electric service cut off for non payment and is going to be evicted from his apartment so the children are relying soling on their friends' family.

Asked on 7/10/13, 4:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

The lawyer will not have an obligation under the law, and having a lawyer preparing for this to be done when you return to the state will help greatly. Taking custody away from a parent can be very difficult, and will require a showing of unfitness. However, if you can get DFCS to take custody and place the child with you, that can be done more quickly. Go ahead and hire an attorney and discuss the situation and options with them before you do or say anything to DFCS.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 9:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia