Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My ex husband and i share joint legal custody, but in the decree it says the ultimate decision in all such matters shall rest with the primary custodial parent(which is myself). He refuses to sign for our daughter to receive her passport. Do i need to go back to court or am i capable of signing and sending in the forms for her passport myself.

Asked on 8/12/13, 10:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You can likely have him cited for contempt and not only force his signature, but be awarded attorneys fees. Discuss this with your lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 10:49 am

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

You will need his signature to obtain a passport since there is an order in place. This issue has been coming up more and more. I suggest you speak with a family law attorney who may be able to get it resolved by a letter setting out the possible ramifications should he refuse to sign. Unless there is a valid reason he has concerns about your daughter leaving the country, the Court could require him to sign for the passport.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 4:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia