Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Joint Leagal Custody - Need Immed. Major Help

I need help, and fast please. Details - I got divorced in Warner Robins GA. I was not represented, the lawyer we used made me assume he was helping us both. I have Open Visatation, and Joint Legal Custody. I do not know what rights I have with that - I live in Kansas, and he has been in Comptempt of Court with the decree details on visatation, communication with the children. Admits in emails that he does ignore my calls. He has not paid a credit bill he was supposed to, and now the last 2 years my taxes have been garnished, and here is the #1 reason for immediate actions: He is getting re-married, AND he is military - and going to Irag in May. With the joint legal custody, he said he is giving ''Power of Attorney'' - of the kids - to his parents in Minnesota. I do not get along with them, and he tells me I have to go through them for visiting - I feel this is wrong, he is going overseas, and I will not be able to see my kids?? Do I not have a right to say where they will be, and who cares for them? Why is it they are not able to be with me? Please help - Noone in Georgia will return my calls - this is my last hope! Please call me ASAP - I have a time deadline. Thank you!

Asked on 2/14/05, 12:03 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

Re: Joint Leagal Custody - Need Immed. Major Help

Unless you request a modification through the Georgia courts, you must abide by the terms of the divorce and custody decree. In order to modify the orders, you would probably have to show some kind of change in circumstance, or possibly show that you were misled by the attorney. I cannot call you as I have no phone number for you.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office. My contact information is below. Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq

MacGregor Lyon, LLC

Promenade II

1230 Peachtree Street NE

Suite 1900

Atlanta Georgia 30309

Phone 404.942.3545

Fax 404.795.0993

[email protected]

Confidentiality Notice

This message is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/05, 10:23 am

Bonnie Selby Bonnie J. Selby, Attorney at Law

Re: Joint Leagal Custody - Need Immed. Major Help

An attorney not licensed in the practice of law in GA would not be giving you sound advice. . .you must contact an attorney there. It is difficult for me to believe that power of attorney given to parents w/re to custody of children would enable anything more than those parents to appeal to the court for visitation rights w/permission of the father--however, don't skrimp in this area. . .you children are your most important assets--get an attorney!

Read more
Answered on 2/14/05, 7:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia