Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

What legal recourse do I have to collect alimony from my ex? Child support ended last month and alimony was due on the first of this month per our divorce decree. My ex refuses to send payment because he wants items that he feels he's entitled to receive from the marital home, like the refrigerator, which was not part of any discussion of property division in the past. Our divorce was final in 2011. He's withholding payment as a control device. I have no other income at this time.

Asked on 6/06/13, 7:46 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

If your ex is not following the terms of the order, you will need to file a contempt. The rule of thumb is he needs to be 30 days in arrears. I suggest you retain an attorney to send him a warning letter and if he does not comply, file a contempt.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 9:13 am

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

See a lawyer to warn him, and then file a contempt once he is at least 30 days in arrears.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 9:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia