Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I live in Ga and he lives in Canada, i am trying to complete the divorce as soon as possible. Does him being in Canada affect filling?

Asked on 7/31/13, 9:39 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Harold Holcombe Harold D. Holcombe, P.C.

Generally speaking....

If he has been gone more than six months from here then you have to file it in his jurisdiction. However, if you can agree, then you can file it here uncontested. If there are children involved this will complicate things, especially if he contests it.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 9:43 am

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

A divorce can usually be filed in Georgia assuming one of you has been here six months. Whether than is the best place to file, and what the court can rule on, depends on details you did not post. Regardless, you want to get a lawyer. The process will be simplest and cheapest if he agrees and signs.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 9:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia