Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I live with my parents & I want to move out soon. My mother says I can't leave, but legally I can since I'm 18 years of age. What can I do?

Asked on 10/31/13, 2:31 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

If you're 18, no one can stop you from walking out the door and not coming back. In fact if they try it's a felony called false imprisonment. If you want to leave, open the door and do so.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/13, 2:57 pm

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

If you reside in Georgia you are an adult at 18 and can leave. I am sure your mother is concerned about how you will support yourself, knowing how difficult it will be to earn a living at your age. You obviously do not have a clue but will have to figure it out.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/13, 7:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia