Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My son's biological father has not actively participated in his life in 10 years. He sees him every once in a while. He does not report his wages and pays very minimal child support. My son has been emotionally distraught by his dad's neglect and prefers not to force him to have contact with him and my husband and I have been taking care of him. All of a sudden he decides he wants visitation, but nobody restricted his access to the chilld from the beginning. He lives one lifestyle and we live another. He does not have a stable home and he co-habitates with a girlfriend. He is not legally divorced from his wife and he lies constantly to the child .Am I required to consent to visitation? His actions are emotionally detrimental to the child.

Asked on 1/22/10, 6:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Martin Hilliard Martin G. Hilliard, PC

Unless there is an order in place via the courts which requires you to let him see your son, you are under no obligation to let him have any kind of visitation.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/10, 8:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia