Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My sons father wants to give full custody to my husband, but our finances are limited so we want to try to file the papers ourselves. Right now we have no custody papers in courts. What papers do we need to file?

Asked on 4/09/13, 4:49 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

This is done by step-parent adoption. Adoption laws are very complex, and there are no forms. It is almost a complete impossibility to do a pro se adoption. Indeed because of the complexity, probably less than 5% of lawyers can do one. My office does handle them and uncontested ones are likely less expensive than you think. Call me at 404-768-3509 with details.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/13, 7:28 pm

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

A stepparent adoption is the most secure thing you can do for you child. The biological father could relinquish his rights and allow your husband to adopt your son. If he refuses, you may still be able to go forward with the adoption based on the biological father's actions to date, such as, has he established a bond with the child, does he provided support for the child, etc. I would urge you to contact an attorney as I would not advise proceeding with an adoption on your own. You can call to schedule a 1/2 hour free consult if you decide to go forward. Tahira Piraino. 404/248-0203

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 8:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia