Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

this is for the state of georgia. What needs to be done to get a father added to a birth certificate? his name was not listed at the time of birth pending paternity. we have the paternity acknowledgment form and the legitimation packet to print and complete, but the paternity acknowledgment doesnt give the father custody or visitation rights. The other problems is that the father, mother and child all live in indiana, but the father and mother are incarcerated in different counties of indiana. So they will not be able to sign the papers and have them notarized at the same time. It will be a long time before they will be in the same location. What do we need to do?

Asked on 6/11/18, 2:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

If everyone lives in Indiana, Georgia lacks any jurisdiction to hear a court case (unless possibly the parties departed from the state less than 6 months ago). I have no idea what "packet" you printed but legitimization is complex and requires counsel. At least in Georgia, it is HUGELY unlikely a judge would grant the petition, as a legitimization has to be in the child's interest, and naming a criminal as the legal father is rather unlikely. With both parties in jail, no one will be able to attend court, so it's pretty impossible to act at this time anyway. After the parties get out of jail, talk to an Indiana lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/18, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia