Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

my ex wife and i have joint custody of our adopted twin daughters, i got physical primary custody of both of them in nov.2015,they both live with me and my wife. the ex moved to florida in jan. 2016, one of the twin daughters who is 15 has decided she wants to go live with the ex, the ex says she is going to her lawyer and getting the papers drawn up, i have no objection of the daughter going to live with the ex. but will she have to come back to cleveland georgia to get the physical custody papers changed. will we not have to go before the judge to give here physical primary custody of the other twin daughter that wants to go live with her in florida, or can she have that changed in florida. sincerely thank you

Asked on 2/24/16, 1:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Harold Holcombe Harold D. Holcombe, P.C.

Normally, jurisdiction in a custody case lies in the county where the minor child resides. Based on your statement, sounds like you need to do it in Georgia. Different judges have different rules, but almost all will require you to come to court and get it done. Its not a simple process. Parenting plan, child support worksheet, child support addendum, modification agreement...all have to be done. And then approved by the judge. And the judge may have some questions. They don't like to split the kids up.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/16, 1:52 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

This would require action from a Georgia court unless you consent to a Florida case. You need a lawyer ASAP. Do not sign or do anything without counsel.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/16, 1:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia