Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Would it be worth trying to lower my child support? Or would I end up paying more?

I pay 985 a month for 3 kids. One kid is in college now and stays in the dorm. My ex works for a bank but I don't know her income. I am a E7 in the Army and gross 4,500 a month. I am raising 4 kids with my new wife.

Asked on 7/18/13, 7:37 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

It is difficult to say because there are several factors to calculate when determining child support. Are the 4 kids your children or your wife's? If your wife's they are not calculated in. Your x-wife's income is calculated in. There is the cost of health insurance, etc. I suggest you get with a family law attorney to go through everything before filing. I have seen cases where a payor thought child support would be lowered because one of the children turned 18 only to find there was an increase due to increased income and other factors. Have it reviewed.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 9:30 am
Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

I agree with attorney Piraino. Sit down with an family law attorney with your numbers to see if filing a modification would lower your payment. Anything you have on your ex's income is helpful, and if she is working at the same place as at the time of the divorce, you could estimate it to see where that puts you. This way, you know whether a modification is in your best interest, or if it is better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 10:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia